'79 Caprice 2-door Headliner

Lebowski

Sep 6, 2018
I have GOT to change the headliner in my 2dr 1979 Caprice. It's falling down and I can't take it anymore. Is it the same as the 4-doors or a different part? Where's the best place to get one? any tips on changing it would be great too.

J.McGinnis

Apr 22, 2020
I just changes my in my 78. It wasn’t too hard to do. The trim clips ikon the front windshield and rear are a little tricky. I had mine wrapped in vinyl. But a lighter material would be best. Vinyl is a little heavy and without the dome light it sags a bit. Most fabric stores carry headliner and the adhesive for headliner.

mtfris

Jul 29, 2020
I just changes my in my 78. It wasn’t too hard to do. The trim clips ikon the front windshield and rear are a little tricky. I had mine wrapped in vinyl. But a lighter material would be best. Vinyl is a little heavy and without the dome light it sags a bit. Most fabric stores carry headliner and the adhesive for headliner.

Were you able to find replacement clips anywhere?

J.McGinnis

Apr 22, 2020
I think Online there was a place that sells them. I’d have to look for the business card.

Capricechris805

Oct 27, 2020
I dont think 4 door is the same. If the board is still good just go to upholstery shop and ask for material for headliners a few colors available. If board is bad our coupe roof is same as montecarlo and on Dixie restoration there are alot of parts available that also work on our cars. Need 2.5 yards and 2 cans of glue. Had to do mine last night
Could prolly do it with 2 yards but best to have extra than come up short. Good luck.

kennethneil81

Nov 1, 2020
West Virginia
Hello,

When I inherited my late grandparent's 1977 Chevrolet Caprice Classic 4-door sedan, the headliner was falling in it as well. Luckily, my father happens to work on appliances for a living, and one of the landlord's my father does work for referred me to a local upholstery shop that both him and his son use for their cars. The upholstery shop replaced the entire headliner in the Caprice for $150.00 + Tax. Obviously, the price may vary depending on where you live and the materials used, but that would definitely be an option that I would consider.

Reactions: GoodOldsGuy

Shortfuse

May 15, 2020
I had a local interior shop do mine they did it for under $200 bucks parts and labor. Money well spent in my opinion. and they did everything including removal and installation of the trim. Now that was 5 years ago so expect a small increase in price.

Reactions: GoodOldsGuy

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
Were you able to find replacement clips anywhere?
You can try ClipsandFasteners inc. There are a very large number of different fasteners used on GM cars. Get as many measurements as possible on the fasteners that came out of your car (presumably broken). There are many that like alike online but are different in real life. Clips and Fasteners Inc is a good place to start.

jay

Jan 13, 2022
I dont think 4 door is the same. If the board is still good just go to upholstery shop and ask for material for headliners a few colors available. If board is bad our coupe roof is same as montecarlo and on Dixie restoration there are alot of parts available that also work on our cars. Need 2.5 yards and 2 cans of glue. Had to do mine last night
Could prolly do it with 2 yards but best to have extra than come up short. Good luck.
are you sure cause ilve been looking high and low for a headliner for my caprice landau and i need it asap so whats yrs fit sir

CapriceClassic

Sep 30, 2021
RtSdcrpd.jpg

are you sure cause ilve been looking high and low for a headliner for my caprice landau and i need it asap so whats yrs fit sir
I have had (2) headliners replaced in my 1982 Caprice Classic. One in April 1997 ($178.00) and replaced again in April 2021 ($300) included both visors. A $122 increase in 24 years. Same company...did a awesome job! Believe me...doing it my self it would not look the same...lol. I have kept track on every nickel I have put in this vehicle. From 1982-present the total now reads $14248.51. Sounds like a lot..? When you figure it is a 40 year old automobile...it comes out to approximately $29 a month....sounds better looking at it from that stand point. When I put it away for the winter it had approx. 117,000 miles on it. My "Johnny Cash Car"...replacing it "one piece at a time". If you want to own old vehicles be prepared to invest $$$ in them. That goes along with anyone owning vintage cars. If your an auto mechanic or know how to repair things vs taking it in....I envy you. There's where the price of owning a classic car becomes much less expensive.

CapriceClassic

Sep 30, 2021
I have GOT to change the headliner in my 2dr 1979 Caprice. It's falling down and I can't take it anymore. Is it the same as the 4-doors or a different part? Where's the best place to get one? any tips on changing it would be great too.
In less your one great DIY man...I would take it to a auto shop that specializes in this. I took my '82 2dr Caprice for (2) headliner jobs in 1997 and 2021. 1997/$178 & 2021/$300..increase of $122 in 24 years. I would be willing that some of these DIY guys wish they hadn't attempted to DIY once finished.

94CAPRICECLASSIC

Mar 1, 2022
Allen Park,MI
I do all my own work....I'm a ASE master automotive technician for a living...I found actual gm headliner material on Etsy and on Oldsmobile obsolete...I have the light blue interior in my car...previous owner tore the headliner out of my car and I'm left with the board but the foam has turned to powder and gets all over the place if you touch it so I'm in the process of taking the shop vac and sucking all the foam dust off my headliner board and then ordering the material for the headliner.

Attachments

• 164639898914796357155216818408.jpg
    164639898914796357155216818408.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 212

Latest posts