Need wiper pulse board 1984 LeSabre

John Farrell

Jun 8, 2022
I could use a tip on best fix/upgrade for bad circuit board on wiper motor. I have bypassed the control, but it's not a long-term solution. Pls advise. thnx JF

Reactions: GoodOldsGuy

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
Does your washer pump assembly (on top of the wiper motor) look like this?

Attachments

• 16549790928189215645637946099388.jpg
    16549790928189215645637946099388.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 177

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
I could use a tip on best fix/upgrade for bad circuit board on wiper motor. I have bypassed the control, but it's not a long-term solution. Pls advise. thnx JF
Or like this with the cover shroud still attached?

Attachments

• 16549792773965766942891671361562.jpg
    16549792773965766942891671361562.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
Yes, delay wipers. These pictures are basically what I have going on.
Ok, the pump/circuit board I have will not work on your car. It looks like the washer pump is missing from yours. The pump is integrated into the circuitry for the wiper motor and delay feature. If that's the original wiper/washer motor assembly, your car did not come from the factory with a "pulse" washer (the kind that activated the wipers and pulsed washer fluid 6 or 7 times, then stopped automatically and returned the wiper arms to the "park" position). Yours came with the "spray" type washer pump that activated the wiper arms and continually sprayed fluid as long as you held the washer button down, and I believe that it parked the wiper arms after you let go of the washer (but it may have simply turned on the wipers when you activated the washer and you had to turn the wipers off manually once the windshield was clear so the wiper arms would stop and return to the park position). Because those 2 systems (washer and wiper with delay (called intermittent wiper) worked together, the circuitry that controlled them was integrated into the washer pump assembly. That sheet metal that is still screwed down on your wiper motor is actually the base for the washer/circuitry assembly. You can buy the pump assembly (with the correct circuitry for delay wipers already inside) from Rock Auto for about $35. I just looked it up lol. There were several different washer/delay types. Your looking for the "washer pump w/intermittent wiper" with the rounded cover, not the squared of cover like mine. Here's a picture of the pump from Rock Auto. Now it looks like all the wiring and connections have been buggered around, and you'll have to figure out them out but its not too hard. The big 3 connectors on the right side, that go through the washer pump base are the wiper power supplies and will be heavier wire then the smaller 3 that connected to the top of the washer assembly that control the delay, washer, and wiper park systems. Replace or wiring around the circuitry is far more difficult than just replacing the pump assembly. I can say that replacing (or even finding) the circuitry needed and installing it to make all that stuff work together properly is way more difficult than just putting a new pump assembly on it. That's about as much info and advice that I can offer. Let me know how it works out for you. God speed:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220616-171142_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220616-171142_Chrome.jpg
    629.9 KB · Views: 165

John Farrell

Jun 8, 2022
OK my man, I ordered the very last one on closeout. I never would have figured out that to order a new pump ya gotta order a whole new circuit board integrated, which is really what I need. I'm sure the actual pump itself failed about 1993 or so, but the main thing I was looking for was a return to civilized wipers here in Seattle. I've been using a toggle switch set to "high" for months. Next item is to remedy my sloppy wiper that is barely hanging on to the post. Since I graduated in '84, I decided to keep this rig as my daily since it is so nice. Thanks for the help.

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
OK my man, I ordered the very last one on closeout. I never would have figured out that to order a new pump ya gotta order a whole new circuit board integrated, which is really what I need. I'm sure the actual pump itself failed about 1993 or so, but the main thing I was looking for was a return to civilized wipers here in Seattle. I've been using a toggle switch set to "high" for months. Next item is to remedy my sloppy wiper that is barely hanging on to the post. Since I graduated in '84, I decided to keep this rig as my daily since it is so nice. Thanks for the help.
I'm confident that all B Bodys came with a turn signal lever mounted switch in 1984. If your turn signal lever is hanging loose or has excessive wobble, THAT problem is probably caused by your turn signal/hazard switch in the steering column. Do your turn signals work? (I understand that you would not know if your from Boston as they are unaware that cars are equipped with turn signals). Do they cancel themselves when the steering wheel returns to center? Do the 4 way hazards work? If the answer is NO to those questions your turn signal switch has likely broken. (If they just don't cancel themselves and the steering wheel is the steering wheel is not centered when your going straight down the road, that is likely caused by a bad front end alignment and/or a severely worn steering linkage). Replacing the turn signal switch is a rather complicated job removing the steering wheel and relieving a fairly heavy tension spring, disconnecting the switch leads at the bottom of the column and pulling the harness up through the column. The real chore is convincing the the new connector and leads back through the column to reconnect, and compressing the spring enough to install the snap ring that holds it in place. You'll need a steering wheel puller, AND a steering wheel spring compressor to reassemble. So if you're not confident, find some video online or have it done. I've done it a bunch of times and I wouldn't hesitate but I have that stuff and I know what's going on with all that stuff. You're welcome to stop by and I'll loan you the tools and show you how to do it, but I'm close to 2000 miles away from you in Texas. Lol Also keep in mind that cars with cornering lights use a different switch than the cars not so equipped. You can probably borrow those tools from O'Reilly after leaving a deposit and it's not impossible to do, but it easy to get frustrated if you don't know what all is going on in there. Oh yeah, one more thing, the wiper/washer switch is not wired on the same harness that the turn signals use, so don't break or damage it if you do get in the steering column. Again, good luck and let me know how it works out:)

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
Oh crap, I just remembered that your cruise wiring goes through there as well, so don't take my word for it that they are not in the same harness. Since delay wipers and cruise control were optional in 84, they probably don't share the harness, but my memory isn't solid on which is which, just be careful with the extra wiring. The cruise wiring on older cars (that my memory is better on) was super fragile but they were just engagement wires, no resume and the on/off switch was on the dash. I know all that stuff is in there, but I'm sorry I can't remember the configuration on the later cars. The later year B Bodys (like 84 and on) had alot of little things different than the earlier years. Later got more computer and pollution control but the older ones got more cubic inches and more consistent wiring commonalities. Yours was probably good for 20mpg highway, and the older ones would pass anything on the road except a gas station. Lol

Monttukani

Aug 23, 2020
Finland
There is a modernised version of that circuitboard with pump available on rockauto. I personally found it hard to figure out wich one am I gonna get from the catalog... Had two of those new models in my previous caprice. IMHO they had bad desing, because it didn't have the park feature. The blades banged against the resting stops on every sweep.
Last year I bought the original style pulseboard with mechanical pump for my new caprice... It had a wrong style cam in it that didn't engage with the pulse contact, so I swaped it out of the old board. Has been working good, but it doesn't keep the blades running while the washer pump does it's duty cycle... So just a heads up, that finding the correct part can be tricky.

John Farrell

Jun 8, 2022
There is a modernised version of that circuitboard with pump available on rockauto. I personally found it hard to figure out wich one am I gonna get from the catalog... Had two of those new models in my previous caprice. IMHO they had bad desing, because it didn't have the park feature. The blades banged against the resting stops on every sweep.
Last year I bought the original style pulseboard with mechanical pump for my new caprice... It had a wrong style cam in it that didn't engage with the pulse contact, so I swaped it out of the old board. Has been working good, but it doesn't keep the blades running while the washer pump does it's duty cycle... So just a heads up, that finding the correct part can be tricky.
OK, I got the part in from Rockauto.It looks about perfect. I will have a question or two later - thnx

John Farrell

Jun 8, 2022
Ok, the pump/circuit board I have will not work on your car. It looks like the washer pump is missing from yours. The pump is integrated into the circuitry for the wiper motor and delay feature. If that's the original wiper/washer motor assembly, your car did not come from the factory with a "pulse" washer (the kind that activated the wipers and pulsed washer fluid 6 or 7 times, then stopped automatically and returned the wiper arms to the "park" position). Yours came with the "spray" type washer pump that activated the wiper arms and continually sprayed fluid as long as you held the washer button down, and I believe that it parked the wiper arms after you let go of the washer (but it may have simply turned on the wipers when you activated the washer and you had to turn the wipers off manually once the windshield was clear so the wiper arms would stop and return to the park position). Because those 2 systems (washer and wiper with delay (called intermittent wiper) worked together, the circuitry that controlled them was integrated into the washer pump assembly. That sheet metal that is still screwed down on your wiper motor is actually the base for the washer/circuitry assembly. You can buy the pump assembly (with the correct circuitry for delay wipers already inside) from Rock Auto for about $35. I just looked it up lol. There were several different washer/delay types. Your looking for the "washer pump w/intermittent wiper" with the rounded cover, not the squared of cover like mine. Here's a picture of the pump from Rock Auto. Now it looks like all the wiring and connections have been buggered around, and you'll have to figure out them out but its not too hard. The big 3 connectors on the right side, that go through the washer pump base are the wiper power supplies and will be heavier wire then the smaller 3 that connected to the top of the washer assembly that control the delay, washer, and wiper park systems. Replace or wiring around the circuitry is far more difficult than just replacing the pump assembly. I can say that replacing (or even finding) the circuitry needed and installing it to make all that stuff work together properly is way more difficult than just putting a new pump assembly on it. That's about as much info and advice that I can offer. Let me know how it works out for you. God speed:)
OK, installed the new unit - plug n play - delay wipers w/ juice! Does it get any better? Now I need 1 new wiper arm for the driver side because it is sloppy and floppy on the splines. Please advise, thank you!

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
OK, installed the new unit - plug n play - delay wipers w/ juice! Does it get any better? Now I need 1 new wiper arm for the driver side because it is sloppy and floppy on the splines. Please advise, thank you!
Glad to hear that worked out for ya. :)

The wiper arms are very common and highly interchangeable among many GM B and C Body's from 77-85 (90 on wagons), and close to 1990 on RWD Fleetwoods. Check your local junkyards or car-part.com (used part search). If you can't find anything that way, I know CTC Autoranch in Denton Texas has an 84 Le Sabre (and probably 30 other cars) to get the wiper arms off of. But should be able to find that near you. Oops, make sure the spline is good where the arm attaches. It wasn't uncommon for the splines to be equally ruined on both sides of the connection when someone grabbed them or they were severely frozen.

Latest posts