Replacing Rear Wheel Stud

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
I have a damaged wheel stud on the rear. It has vented disc in the rear, but does not appear to have space for swapping out a lug. Is there a trick to replacing a stud without removing the axle? Or is there more space than I am seeing?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

GP403

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 30, 2018
Rolla, MO
I found this:

not sure it'll be of any help, but (emph. mine)

Rears, Remove drums or discs so your down to the axle flange. You may have enough room to wiggle out the old studs out from between the axle flange and the backing plate and install the new studs if you orient the axle in the correct spot (If you have drums you may need to strip the shoes off the backing plate, If you have discs you may need to remove the parking brake) IF you cant fit them in from the back. Then you have pull the axles out a bit. This is done by removing the rear end cover, draining all the stinky gear oil, remove the 5/16 bolt that holds the center pin in, pull out the pin 3/4 out. Push axle in, Remove C clip, pull the axle out, You dont need to remove it, Just pull it out an inch. Reinstall is the reverse.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
Ah, ok. So it seems like a chance, but not too crazy if an axle meeds to be moved. Probably needs new diff lube by now anyway. Pretty sure it's still the same lube it came with back in '95.

Shortfuse

May 15, 2020
On some models it can be done without removing the axle. You need to take the new wheel stud and grind one side of the head off the new stud this will allow you enought room to sneak it in there and then pull it in place with the stud installation tool. To remove the old one cut half the length off of it and take a hammer and beat it through the flange to remove.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
On some models it can be done without removing the axle. You need to take the new wheel stud and grind one side of the head off the new stud this will allow you enought room to sneak it in there and then pull it in place with the stud installation tool. To remove the old one cut half the length off of it and take a hammer and beat it through the flange to remove.
Yeah, I saw some videos on doing that. Figured I'd see if I could go that route first given wheel studs are dirt cheap.

Shortfuse

May 15, 2020
It never hurts to try. Also different places around the hub may have different amounts of clearance so check all the way around. I have drilled a hole through a backing plate to get them in in a non critical area. The hole can then be plugged if needed. I have been working on cars for a living for over thirty years, sometimes you have to get creative to get the job done.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
I have a rear caliper to swap out, so I figure that I can at least get a more clear idea about what to do while I'm in there. On vacation this week, so I have time to tinker with it.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
Ordered a set of studs with some stuff for a couple of my other cars. Guess we'll see what happens once I get to work on it.

Latest posts