Proper Trans Filter

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
So, I'm planning to drop the trans pan on my '95 Caprice so I can inspect the parking pawl and re-secure it if necessary, given that it's a hassle to get the car into park and found that it might be a loose pawl. I'm gathering the materials needed, including fluid, gasket, and filter. However, I'm seeing two different kinds of filters: for shallow pan and for deep pan. How do I know which one is correct?

If it helps in determination, the car is a former FD car with spotlight, 4-wheel disc brakes, L99. Not sure what else might be useful.

Reactions: GoodOldsGuy

DeltaElectra88

Oct 6, 2021
So, I'm planning to drop the trans pan on my '95 Caprice so I can inspect the parking pawl and re-secure it if necessary, given that it's a hassle to get the car into park and found that it might be a loose pawl. I'm gathering the materials needed, including fluid, gasket, and filter. However, I'm seeing two different kinds of filters: for shallow pan and for deep pan. How do I know which one is correct?

If it helps in determination, the car is a former FD car with spotlight, 4-wheel disc brakes, L99. Not sure what else might be useful.

Usually the cars have the shallow pan, trucks have the deep, not saying that's the word of god though, another thing that I've noticed with the same warning of maybe not always true, is the deep pans are shallow on the rearmost 1.5-2" then step down deeper, the shallow are the same dimension throughout

I would question if the transmission is to blame for the park problem, I would assume a linkage issue to be more likely, but I will admit that I learn new things about familiar things often enough, have you jacked the car up and made sure the trans was in park at the transmission and then check it?

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
Thanks for the heads up on the pan. I'll be taking a look at that as soon as I have time to get the car up in the air again.

I would question if the transmission is to blame for the park problem, I would assume a linkage issue to be more likely, but I will admit that I learn new things about familiar things often enough, have you jacked the car up and made sure the trans was in park at the transmission and then check it?

I've done some looking into the issue and everything pointed to an out-of-adjustment cable or a loose pawl. Since the connection to the shift lever down there is a mechanical linkage without adjustments and not a cable, seemed like the most likely issue was a loose pawl. From what I saw it should be easy to resolve, just need the supplies required of a pan drop.

DeltaElectra88

Oct 6, 2021
Thanks for the heads up on the pan. I'll be taking a look at that as soon as I have time to get the car up in the air again.

I've done some looking into the issue and everything pointed to an out-of-adjustment cable or a loose pawl. Since the connection to the shift lever down there is a mechanical linkage without adjustments and not a cable, seemed like the most likely issue was a loose pawl. From what I saw it should be easy to resolve, just need the supplies required of a pan drop.

The mechanical linkage has and adjustment on the rod that comes down from the steering column, it's a bolt that pinches the rod

IMG_0319.JPG

This pic is an 83 GMC pickup but same idea, the head of the bolt in the pic is inline with the blue cable

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
I'm not the expert on this but I'd vote for linkage bent or damaged before a loose park pawl. Maybe a broken park pawl, but I don't think I've ever heard of one just coming loose. Again I'm not an expert, and I'm sure someone else will have a better understanding or plan of action for your 700R4 or 4L60. Every time I had one of those fail, the whole transmission had to go to the scrap bin. So that's my luck on those things.

DeltaElectra88

Oct 6, 2021
I'm not the expert on this but I'd vote for linkage bent or damaged before a loose park pawl. Maybe a broken park pawl, but I don't think I've ever heard of one just coming loose. Again I'm not an expert, and I'm sure someone else will have a better understanding or plan of action for your 700R4 or 4L60. Every time I had one of those fail, the whole transmission had to go to the scrap bin. So that's my luck on those things.
Similar experience here, I had an 85 Parisienne with a 700R4, it had no park from a guy jamming it in park when a brake line failed, that was the first car that I bought a park brake cable for, I drove it like that for a couple years, eventually had that 700 rebuilt, it's in my 80 Buick now, had to replace the transmission case to fix park

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
Ok, I guess I'll take another look at it all when I can get back under it and double check the linkage. I'll use a jack and stands instead of the ramps. For whatever reason it just doesn't get up all that high on the ramps. Makes it really difficult to get a solid view of the linkage.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
That reminded me that I made something of a video to check linkage movement. I didn't have it pointed in the right place, regrettably. However, it did show that it looks to be a shallow pan. It also had a glancing view of the linkage, but not good enough to be helpful.

ledzilla

Feb 15, 2020
View attachment 335

This pic is an 83 GMC pickup but same idea, the head of the bolt in the pic is inline with the blue cable

Turns out that this is exactly how it's setup on my Caprice. I was finally about to spend the time to get back under there and get it fixed. Shifts into PARK perfectly now. It's nice not having to finagle the shifter until the car stops rolling down a hill.

Latest posts