Difference between the 80’s Impala and Caprice.

Darth Z

May 12, 2019
I’m pretty limited in my knowledge of the 80’s Impala. Only found out that they made them a few years ago. I’m curious what the difference between the Impala and Caprice was on those cars.

I also googled the 80’s Impala and learned that the frame was a shorter version of the previous generation, but also that the frame was used all the way until B-body production ended in 96. Does that apply mean that the same suspension components can be used on them? Could you put aftermarket performance suspension parts designed for the 96 Impala, on an 85?

I know GM likes to retain the same basic design the same for a while, like both generations of the S10, and the 3rd gen F-Bodies and 4th gen F-bodies have interchangeable suspension components. Wondering if that applies to the B-body.

Reactions: GP403

Darth Z

May 12, 2019
Ok. Thanks! So the Impala was the basic model, and the Caprice is the more luxury version? I kinda like the 2 door Impala. If I could get on and retrofit it to the 96 Impala, it could be a pretty sweet ride. I just need to do more research on upgrading the suspension. If I come across a decent example, I might pick one up. ;)

Darth Z

May 12, 2019
Thanks Turna, that’s what I expected it to be, but it woulda been so much better if they had given it the same treatment as the 94-96 Impies. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Darth Z

May 12, 2019
they did, they had the Caprices in 94-96

Yeah, but I mean I wish they had used Corvette motors, rear discs, dressier interiors, etc. just like they did in 94-96. As soon as those came out, I heard about them, unlike the 80’s Impalas not being very well known. Ofcourse there was a lot of misinformation from people who didn’t know what they were talking about. I heard they had big blocks, and then others said they had Corvette motors. Technically they were correct on the latter, but they didn’t get the 300 HP version, but you know how people are. “It’s got a Corvette motor.” They brag about it, but don’t mention that it also has less HP.

where they messed up was when the Impala went to FWD

I agree 100%! I hate FWD! Family members keep buyin them, and they want me to work on them. Some can be kinda cool sometimes, but they’re still stupid. That being said, I do like the early 2000’s Impala SS with the 5.3L. The cars are fairly roomy, and have to be pretty fun with that motor. That would be a sweet motor swap choice for a 94-96 Impy with a blown motor though. ;) I wish they would put a V8 in the current Impala. They do atleast look decent.

allen230

Sep 28, 2019
I like the 2 doors Impala, but currently using Ford f250, cause its fulfill my requirements, i am using the truck for 24 Hour Towing in New York, i have used FWD, AWD etc but very impressed with, Ford performance.

Last edited:

Latest posts