1991 Custom Cruiser Remote Locking

JEFFSHADOW

Dec 30, 2023
I inspected the RPO label on my 1991 OCC to discover there is no AUO code, so my wagon does not have factory remote locking and unlocking. Can I remove the system from a 1994 Roadmaster that just arrived at a wrecking yard and install that in the D pillar of my CC easily and is it just a wiring hook up? An online site does have new 1991 GM remotes for the OCC.

Spike Cutler

Jul 23, 2023
I do not believe that the '94 Roadmaster had the identical wiring, such that the remote locking system would just plug and play - but (and I know this will sound like I'm being cute) I couldn't say without first looking.

What I can say is that you can buy a perfectly decent Chinese remote locking controller (lock, unlock, rear hatch open, blinks lights on lock/unlock) from Amazon for $16.99 (Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4LTXSK/?tag=bbodyforum-20 ). You should have little trouble wiring it up by reference to the GM CC shop manual, and I rather suspect that, even where you have no remote locking, the wiring harness will be essentially the same. All wires needed should be present above the left rear wheel well, under the plastic cover.

If needs be, I may be able to provide a few pointers and scans of the wiring diagram for you (but, not today).

JEFFSHADOW

Dec 30, 2023
I do not believe that the '94 Roadmaster had the identical wiring, such that the remote locking system would just plug and play - but (and I know this will sound like I'm being cute) I couldn't say without first looking.

What I can say is that you can buy a perfectly decent Chinese remote locking controller (lock, unlock, rear hatch open, blinks lights on lock/unlock) from Amazon for $16.99 (Ref: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L4LTXSK/?tag=bbodyforum-20 ). You should have little trouble wiring it up by reference to the GM CC shop manual, and I rather suspect that, even where you have no remote locking, the wiring harness will be essentially the same. All wires needed should be present above the left rear wheel well, under the plastic cover.

If needs be, I may be able to provide a few pointers and scans of the wiring diagram for you (but, not today).
There is a 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon at a local wrecking yard. I would rather have original GM parts than Chinese junk. Also, I do not buy from Amazon. I spend my money at real stores. They actually deserve my support.

Spike Cutler

Jul 23, 2023
There is a 1991 Roadmaster Estate Wagon at a local wrecking yard. I would rather have original GM parts than Chinese junk. Also, I do not buy from Amazon. I spend my money at real stores. They actually deserve my support.
Fair enough - and I am soundly confident that the keyless entry module from the '91 Roadie will work, assuming the harness is the same - may be, but again, I am uncertain as to whether the cars not speced with the keyless had different harnesses, or unfiulled plugs. Issue is, the '91 had a two-step unlock; first press of the fob opened driver door only, second press opened the rest. I had to install a relay along with the cheap-ass Chinese remote unit I fitted to have keyless entry, the relay being necessary because of the alternate paths for the driver's door and the rest.

I am concerned about whether you'll find a keyless entry module that still works - the TRW units the factory installed tend to fail over time. Mine wass randomly unlocking doors and popping the rear hatch. Plus, I never could find a reliable source for replacement fobs.

As for preferring "real stores," I could not agree more - I always favor buying local to buying online (from whomever). Let me know where you can find a "local" store selling a usable keyless entry module. Especially challenging because I spend most of my time living in a rural locale, where parts and accessories for my two Custom Cruisers ('91 and '92) and my '76 Eldorado are simply not found.

Best of luck!

JEFFSHADOW

Dec 30, 2023
I sold Oldsmobiles for 15 years, 1990 to 2004. I have wanted a 1991Custom Cruiser for a long time and just bought it four months ago. I also started posting on the GM Long Roof Forum. You are definitely correct about older options parts failing but I am going to visit the 1991 Buick tomorrow morning to remove the entire wiring harness and TRW module if it's still there. I already removed the windshield washer bottle from this Roadmaster in September. Rural or urban, keep the wagons (and Eldorado) running. I have three Cadillacs.

Spike Cutler

Jul 23, 2023
Did you ever get and test the keyless entry module?
I sold Oldsmobiles for 15 years, 1990 to 2004. I have wanted a 1991Custom Cruiser for a long time and just bought it four months ago. I also started posting on the GM Long Roof Forum. You are definitely correct about older options parts failing but I am going to visit the 1991 Buick tomorrow morning to remove the entire wiring harness and TRW module if it's still there. I already removed the windshield washer bottle from this Roadmaster in September. Rural or urban, keep the wagons (and Eldorado) running. I have three Cadillacs.

JEFFSHADOW

Dec 30, 2023
Did you ever get and test the keyless entry module?
I did indeed get 90% of the wiring off the 1991 Roadmaster wagon and it wasn't until a few weeks later that I realized I should have removed a particular wired connector from the steering column. When I arrived at the PYP yard, someone else had already removed the tailgate and right rear door. The remote module was fully visible, so I got that part quickly. I will need to find an expert technician to match up the needed wiring.

Attachments

• 1991 Roadmaster Remote Module.jpg
    1991 Roadmaster Remote Module.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 3

Latest posts