Original owner '77 Buick Estate...new addition to the stable & have questions

403EstateWagon

Apr 27, 2022
Just new here with a newly acquired '77 Buick Estate Wagon. Purchased from the original owner & special ordered without roof rack, woodgrain & rear facing seat...he did check the boxes for the 403 & power locks & not much else. I'd like to find a few trim parts, mainly the driver's interior door panel. Thanks in advance!
Screenshot_20220328-075345_Facebook.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodOldsGuy

GoodOldsGuy

Oct 20, 2020
Texas
Welcome, and Nice ride:) I have your cars cousin. A 1979 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser. Mine however got dragged through the optional equipment aisle where every available option was added to the car, EXCEPT the 3rd row rear facing seat, and the fully automatic climate control system (I don't think a sunroof was a wagon option). I don't know for sure, but I'm confident that the car was over $10,000 in 1979.

I don't remember how different the interior door panels are on Buick vs Oldsmobile, but I recall seeing some interior door panels on Ebay recently. I would be shocked if you can find one that doesn't need painted and re-upholstered, so be realistic. I can't say for sure but I'm confident that those door panels would interchange (or be close enough to work) 77 through 1984 on B and C body Buick sedans and 77 on until Buick quite building full size B/C wagons, but you may already know more than I do about the Buicks.

I have to ask, did you at least get a posi rear end behind the 403? I'm further confident that the 403 option came with the bigger 11" rear drums (it was on the Oldsmobile side of assembly line.) I've also heard that the 1977, 403 equipped wagons were the most likely (but still not probable) to get a THM400 instead of the THM350 transmission. There is also a rumor that 1977's with 403 had a slim chance of getting a 403 that does NOT have open web mains, but I've still never seen one and I think those are the unicorns of siamese cylindered small block Oldsmobiles, and are slightly less common than unicorns themselves.

Anyway, welcome again and I wish you luck on your parts search. :)

Reactions: Dub88

Latest posts