Floor and Trunk Supports/Braces

rt77impala

Aug 1, 2021
Hello all,

First post in the forum. Currently in the process of restoring a 77 Impala aero coupe. The underside of this car has seen better days. I have a pretty solid floor pan out of a 93 caprice to drop in, but did not cut all the way back to the rear seat floor support/body mounts and the drivers side of the 77’s mount is completely gone. Same situation with the passenger side trunk floor support and its body mount (Body to rear frame horn mount).

I have searched around for replacement parts but seems like everything else, not much is made for these b-body’s. I have been able to find a part that “looks” almost identical for the g-body through ss396 But I assume it is narrower and would need modification, probably going to give this a try.

I have had no luck finding anything ready made for the rear, has anyone had to replace these parts before; between ready made, fabricating or cutting them out of another car which seems to be the best option?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Shortfuse

May 15, 2020
These are not made for our cars unfortunatly , so yes you will either have to make or modify something to work. I had to do the same thing on a 63 Caddillac model 62. Just remember to cross brace the inside of the body before cutting the old stuff out or the body can warp or twist when the old panels are removed and you will never get it straight again. I had a customer that him and his father decided to do the floor, trunk and firewall in a 69Z28 that was a very rare option package car. Once the car was fully assembled the left side sat 1.5 inches lower than the right. It was a $90k fuck up. It was also non repairable without a complete rebuild all over.

Reactions: rt77impala

rt77impala

Aug 1, 2021
Thanks for the info! At least now I can stop searching for them. And thanks for sharing the Camaro story, currently have the body supported at four corners on the rocker pinch welds under the passenger compartment and a support under the center of the trunk. (Doors still on as well) Figured I would do the floor in sections to keep things rigged and then do the floor and trunk braces one at a time.

Shortfuse

May 15, 2020
Thanks for the info! At least now I can stop searching for them. And thanks for sharing the Camaro story, currently have the body supported at four corners on the rocker pinch welds under the passenger compartment and a support under the center of the trunk. (Doors still on as well) Figured I would do the floor in sections to keep things rigged and then do the floor and trunk braces one at a time.
Yep. Just cut out 1 piece at a time and do that. Once it is welded in then do another but do not cut it all out at once without crossbracing the inside of the body with supports or you will have a huge issue.

Latest posts